Thursday, May 05, 2011

My New Piece at Religion Dispatches: "Will Bin Laden's Killing End the Jihadi Trend?"

I was asked by one of the associate editors of the academic e-magazine Religion Dispatches to write a brief post on the impact of the killing of Al-Qa'ida Central (AQC) leader Usama bin Laden. I agreed to do so, even though my thoughts and argument remain somewhat tentative. They edited it a lot for length and some of the info/context is less, but they kept my voice and argument intact.

It can be read HERE.

One big caveat: This line has the big typo:

"Non-Arab jihadi groups, al Qaeda and its regional affiliates in North Africa, Yemen, and Iraq, are also likely to be less affected by bin Laden’s death."

It should have read:

"Non-Arab jihadi groups and Al-Qaeda's regional affiliates in North Africa, Yemen, and Iraq are also likely to be less affected by bin Laden's death."

In other words, AQC will be affected much more than its regional affiliates and non-Arab allies.

I should note that this is a tentative assessment.

No comments: