Sunday, May 09, 2010

Is the Sadr Movement Leaning Toward Ja'far bin Muhammad Baqir al-Sadr as its Candidate for Prime Minister?

This banner from a Tayyar al-Sadr (Sadr Movement) media outlet suggests as much. Al-Sayyid Ja'far is the son of the martyred Grand Ayatullah al-Sayyid Muhammad Baqir al-Sadr, who was executed in April 1980 by Saddam Husayn's government.


Erik said...

Greetings from Iraq! I am a friend of a friend (I believe) having lived with the honorable Patrick Boland during college. I want to thank you for the work you are doing on this blog. It is a great help to me as a fellow Islamic Studies scholar and now, in my current manifestation, as intelligence officer deployed in Nasiriyah. I'm curious if you have any thoughts on the prospects for Ja'far's electability? Any insight would be much appreciated! Also please feel free to email me anytime:

Erik said...

sorry for the double posting...internet troubles

إبن الصقلي said...

Yes, indeed, he and I studied together 3 summers ago in Yemen. It seems so recent, but it's already been nearly three years!

Thanks very much for your kind words about my blog. I'm glad to hear it's interesting and somewhat useful.

Re: Ja'far, from what I've read he's still a bit of a political unknown and relatively new, at least in the public sense, to politics. Off hand, his impeccable pedigree will probably be one of his greatest assets. Being related to Ayatullah Muhammad Baqir al-Sadr and his sister, Amina "Bint al-Huda", is important. Although Khumayni is better known, I think Baqir al-Sadr was as or even more important in many ways intellectually than his Iranian counterpart. Khumayni, of course, gets the limelight because he and his acolytes succeeded in forming a state.

For Iraq-related analysis, I generally turn to Reidar Visser:
Iraq and Gulf Analysis