Sunday, October 04, 2009

Announcing Views from the Occident's New "Twitter Specials" Occasional Series


This image really has nothing to do with the subject of this post.  I've just been having fun with Snagit, which allows you to capture scenes from video and other spaces on your computer's screen as images and even videos.  The screen-grab is of Abu Yahya al-Libi, a rising al-Qa'ida Central (AQC) star and a senior leader in the Afghanistan/Pakistan theater.

I am beginning a "Twitter specials" occasional series of posts on Twitter (called "Tweets," for those that don't know...but I don't like the term, so I don't use it...so there).  I will use this "occasional series" to publish (via links to my Scribd account and other cyber locales) materials and news stories that I will, most likely, not appear here at Views from the Occident either due to time, space, or other publishing constraints.  Many of these materials will be primary sources on my current research interests, some of which I intended to write about on Occident but did not get around to doing so.

I would also like to thank one of my dearest and most valued friends (don't get a big head), Mahdi, for bending my arm to join Twitter.  It's helped increase Occident's readership by leaps and bounds. I am happy, now, to use it to complement (hopefully) Occident.

The inaugural Twitter Specials post/Tweet can be viewed HERE.  You can follow Occident on Twitter at http://twitter.com/IbnSiqilli.  For those without and who do not want to join Twitter, you can keep track of the "Specials" at http://occident2.blogspot.com.

Feedback and comments are welcome, either in the "Comments" on the blog or via e-mail: IbnSiqilli@gmail.com

Thanks for reading Occident!

UPDATE (2:29 P.M., October 4): A RSS feed from Views from the Occident (Twitter Specials) is now featured at the top right-hand corner of the main blog for readers' convenience.

Below is a recent breakdown of readers/visitors to Occident:


3 comments:

Alexander said...

Thank you for creating another blog for your Specials - otherwise I'd never see them, as I have a deep-seated and instinctual aversion to Twitter, the reaction some people have to snakes or injections.

Also, what do you use to keep track of your traffic? I use statcounter.com, which is good but limited unless I shell out money to expand the log size.

إبن الصقلي said...

My pleasure. At first I wasn't going to have a separate blog as a platform for the Specials, but decided it would be best for the reason you state. I can't say that I blame you for the anti-Twitter feeling; at times I share it.

I use SiteMeter:

http://www.sitemeter.com

I have the basic free meter. I think you can view it from the link at the bottom of Occident. The statistics are pretty cool for a free meter.

Welcome back from your trip abroad, by the way!

إبن الصقلي said...

I've also just added Google Analytics; It seems pretty cool, so we'll see how it works.

A good explanation to it can be found:

HERE

HERE #2