Iraqi Father Seeks Blackwater Apology
By Mike Lanchin and Mona Mahmoud
BBC News (May 28, 2008)
Eight months after his nine-year-old son died in a shooting incident involving private security guards from the U.S. firm Blackwater, the boy's father has called for an official apology and admission of guilt from the company, rather than compensation.
A spokesperson for Blackwater declined a BBC invitation for an interview, citing the ongoing investigations.
Speaking to the BBC before he travelled, Mr. Abdul-Razzaq said that he was not aware of any threat to the Blackwater convoy in Nisoor Square. I began to shout down the road, 'They've killed my son, they've killed my son'
Following the shooting, Mr Abdul-Razzaq said that on at least two occasions he had been offered compensation by Blackwater and US government officials in Baghdad. On each occasion, he said he had turned down the offers - one of which was for U.S. $12,500. "Other people who have relatives who were victims took the money, but I refused," he said.
The Nation's Jeremy Scahill on Blackwater, the "shadow army" in Iraq.