Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Greenspan Writes in His New Book that the Iraq War was 'Largely About Oil'

"The Iraq war is largely about oil. I'm saddened that it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows." writes former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan, 81, in his new book The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World. "Whatever their publicized angst over Saddam Hussein's 'weapons of mass destruction,' American and British authorities were also concerned about violence in an area that harbors a resource indispensable for the functioning of the world economy."

Greenspan clarified his remarks in an interview with The Washington Post: "I was not saying that that's the administration's motive. I'm just saying that if somebody asked me, 'Are we fortunate in taking out Saddam?,' I would say it was essential....I have never heard them basically say, 'We've got to protect the oil supplies of the world,' but that would have been my motive."

http://www.amazon.com/Age-Turbulence-Adventures-New-World/dp/1594201315/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-6617708-4448902?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190227067&sr=8-1

No comments: